WHEREAS, on September 4, 2014 WBO Middleweight Champion of the World Peter Quillin notified this WBO World Championship Committee of his intent to forgo the proposed mandatory defense bout against WBO #1 ranked contender Matt Korobov; and,
WHEREAS, Mr. Quillin’s decision required that the WBO Middleweight title be declared vacant and that this WBO World Championship Committee determine Mr. Korobov’s opponent for the now vacant title, pursuant to Section 20 of the WBO Regulations for World Championship Contests; and,
WHEREAS, we have received formal petitions on behalf of both WBO #2 classified contender Billy Joe Saunders and WBO Junior Middleweight Champion of the World Demetrius Andrade, to fight for the vacant WBO Middleweight Championship of the World against Matt Korobov; and,
NOW, THEREFORE, according to our Regulations and guided by existing precedent, this WBO World Championship Committee determines that:
- Having prevailed over Jose Uzcategui on June 28, 2014 in a WBO eliminatory match, there is no doubt that Mr. Korobov is deserving of an opportunity to fight for the vacant WBO Middleweight Championship of the World; and,
- Although there is no fixed norm to allow our WBO Champions moving up in weight to vie for titles in the next weight division, there are examples of this precedent such as: Ivan Calderon contending for the WBO Jr. Flyweight Championship of the World coming from the Mini-Flyweight division, Miguel Cotto moving up from the Jr. Welterweight division and fighting for the WBO Welterweight Championship of the World, Donnie Nietes fighting for the WBO Jr. Flyweight Championship of the World coming from the Mini- Flyweight division, Ricky Burns fighting for the WBO Lightweight Championship of the World having decided not to compete in the Jr. Lightweight division, Juan Manuel Marquez contesting for the WBO Welterweight Championship of the World having previously been the Jr. Welterweight titlist, and, more recently, Miguel Angel “Mikey” Garcia moving up from the Featherweight division and fighting for the WBO Jr. Lightweight Championship of the World, among others; and,
- Having manifested a clear desire to move up in weight and considering his status as our current WBO Jr. Middleweight Champion, Demetrius Andrade has made a more compelling case than Billy Joe Saunders to compete for the vacant WBO Middleweight Championship of the World, despite Saunder’s status as former Olympian, former WBO International Champion and current European Boxing Union Champion; and,
- Furthermore, Saunders has not faced a WBO top 15- ranked opponent in the last fourteen months, and his position as WBO #2 ranked contender is primarily due to the fact that others like Daniel Jacobs have decided not to fight for the WBO title; and, (AMENDED)
- Even in the case where a fighter ascends to the #1 position in the WBO rankings, this fighter is not automatically considered a Mandatory Challenger. To be considered as such, a fighter must meet the standard of having defeated WBO classified opposition.
IT ADDITIONALLY RESOLVES that in light of the above Demetrius Andrade fight Matt Korobov for the vacant WBO Middleweight Championship of the World; and,
FINALLY RESOLVES that given the situation in the WBO Middleweight Division, and that a purse bid for the Quillin vs. Korobov WBO Middleweight contest had been held, with a television date set, the sides to the contest here ordered now have fifteen (15) days to reach an agreement. As usual, the parties involved may call for a purse bid at any time during the negotiation process.
September 10, 2014
WBO CHAMPIONSHIP COMMITTEE